Twitter Follow-Button

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Let Them Be

The Author of this post is Solomon Dejesus

I am wondering if moving to California will introduce me to people who take less of a role in trying to parent children other than their own. I was surfing the internet looking to satellitetvsantaanaca.com to look for some extra channels to add to our normal routine. One of the shows I like to watch is “Super Nanny.” I guess the reason I am drawn to this show is that I, like all parents, sometimes feel like I am failing miserably at raising my kids. Children are so different in personality and motivation, so the way you can reach one child is certainly no guarantee that this method will work for another child. The other thing that I like about that show is it allows parents to parent their own child. Super Nanny really does empower parents so that they may be the guiding role in the lives of their children. This really stuck out to me a few weekends ago when we vacationed with another family. My oldest daughter took something away from my younger one, and even though I was just in the next room, the mom of the other family took it upon herself to reprimand my child. My daughter was mortified and ran out of the room in tears. While I appreciated the level of comfort amongst our families, I really did not appreciate this other mother brandishing my child. I was within ear-shot of my kids, and I was ready and able to rectify the situation. I think there is a time and a place for parenting someone else’s children, and this is very limited. I think it is only acceptable if a child is in danger, or the parents are unable to be present at the time. Other than that, back off!

No comments:

Post a Comment